Biological Field Technician - (1164)
Are you looking for a job that allows you to be outside, travel across the West, gain knowledge in different ecoregions, while applying your biological skills, and most importantly provides you the flexibility you need to balance your professional goals with personal desires? We have the job for you.
We are looking for a Biological Field Technician, with wetland delineation experience, to support surveys in the 2023 field season. While wetland surveys will be the position’s focus, opportunities to support other biological surveys will be provided. This position is a primarily field-based role with data management tasks post-field. Travel is expected. If you are interested in a permanent position please see the following job: Wetland Biologist (1165).
Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST) is a premier environmental and statistical consulting firm with offices across the US. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies ready and willing to mentor young and transitional professionals. Beyond science, we encourage participation in conservation actions at the local and national level and have developed a company-wide diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) program.
Please click here to see what benefits WEST offers!
The minimum base hourly rate for this position is $24 and the maximum starting hourly rate is $27. Salary may vary based on education, knowledge and experience.
The successful candidate will be responsible for conducting wetland delineation surveys across the western US. Areas of focus include the Rocky Mountains, Great Plains, and Southwest regions. We hope to fill the role by May 2023, with surveys kicking off immediately. Applicants should expect a flexible and variable work schedule, with high hour weeks intermixed with off weeks. We believe this structure will establish efficient project work schedules with the flexibility to play in the off time. We are open to schedule preference discussions. Biologists will need to be experienced in any or all of the following topics:
- General field surveys
- Wetland delineations
- Stream delineations (specifically ordinary high water mark identification)
- General botanicals inventories and habitat mapping
- Rare plant surveys
- Raptor nests survey
- Sensitive species habitat suitability and presence/absence survey
- Prairie dogs, burrowing owls, swift fox, butterflies, among other state and federally listed species
Our Field Technicians may work independently or in teams of two. Project locations may be remote and are often rugged. We will outfit crews with proper field equipment and supervision. Training to be provide as warranted. We expect biologists to have basic field skills including:
- Emphasis on Health & Safety
- Field responsibility
- Ability to follow survey and data collection protocols
- Data QA/QC
- Orientation skills
- Utilize tablets, GPS units, and other field equipment
- Physically able to walk long stretches over rough terrain
- Experience with 4wd vehicles
- Strong communication skills
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
The requirements for this position are focused on wetland delineations with supporting general biology knowledge, a desire to be in the field, and a willingness to follow standard protocols to ensure the successful completion of project work. The successful candidate must be a self-starter who possesses:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in biological studies, natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent; or degree in process.
- Previous experience conducting wetland delineation surveys
- A strong track record of maintaining positive relationships with coworkers, clients or stakeholders
- Ability to follow instructions from managers and accept guidance and constructive criticism
- Desire to be outside for long periods of time
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.